The Beginning...

I'm not sure why I'm starting a blog. Because it's a popular thing to do? Not really. I figure there are already so many blogs out there that who is left to read all of them? Because I have a fabulously interesting life that the world simply MUST know about? Not hardly. I'm pretty much one of the most boring people I know with a rather mundane life. (Not that that's a bad thing.) Because I have so much extra time that I just don't know what to do with it? A big NO! Having 3 young children, one of whom is quite fond of behaving like a monkey whenever he's not sleeping, plus various other time-consuming activities in my life, I am already up until midnight or later most nights. Because I have people lined up, waiting with baited breath to hear the next brilliant thing to come out of my brain? Um, no. I'm not even sure anyone will read this at all (and certain none of it will be brilliant), although my friend Kerrie assures me she will read it. Thanks, Kerrie!

So, why? I'll just say that God keeps bringing it to my mind lately, and finally, just now, I feel truly compelled to do it. I may be on the verge of Him bringing about some big changes in my life, and I would like to have my experiences documented to share with my children one day. That way, I can prove to them that their father and I did have reasons for decisions we made and did love them despite our many failings each and every day. So, for the children. That doesn't sound cliche, does it? That, and it's just easier to type than write all of this by hand in a journal. I'm so long-winded that my hand just can't take it.

As I stand full of doubt looking into a big, scary, unknown future, I find comfort in God's Word. In Luke 7:18-19, we find John the Baptist, "the greatest among those born of women," just checking with Jesus to see if He really was who John thought He was. Let's face it. We can all relate to John. Sometimes following Jesus just seems to make no sense at all. We wonder if we've spent all this time and energy following the wrong guy. Because He doesn't make sense. In verse 23, Jesus says, "Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me." He knew that the life He lived just didn't fit with our concept of a King, and the life He calls us to live just doesn't fit the definition of success we are taught by the world. And, the great thing is, He didn't rebuke John. He just reminded John of who He is and what He has done and is doing. Thank you, Jesus, for gently reminding me that You are Who You say You are, even when it doesn't seem like it from my point of view.

So, as we consider possibilities for our lives that seem ridiculous from a worldly point of view, Jesus is gently and faithfully reminding us that He is Lord, that "God's way is right" (verse 29), and that following Him is always the best thing we can do. Toward the end of the passage in Luke, in verse 30, you get a glimpse of the Pharisees. (Poor guys. They really are always getting drug through the dirt. Okay, they deserve it, but still.) And the phrase that describes them is those who "rejected God's purpose for themselves." I don't want to go down in history as the one who rejected God's purpose for my life because I had my own agenda. But, wow, sometimes I think my agenda is pretty good and He should take note of it. However, He quickly reminds me that I am only a wretched, fallen, foolish woman who would be nothing without the love and grace of Jesus Christ. So, I follow the One who loves me so. Many times I fall, wander, or just stop in my tracks, but eventually I continue to follow. Wherever He leads...whether it's into blogland or to the ends of the earth. (Yikes! Did I just say that?)

Comments

Popular Posts