Focus, Amy, Focus

The boss is after me to get on top of this blogging thing. Apparently, my husband likes to read my blog. I think that's funny, for some reason. You'd think after having to listen to me talk all the livelong day, he'd be tired of all my words. It seems that's not the case, though, which is pretty nice, if you ask me. Chris, I hope this meets your long-awaited expectations. Not likely.

So, the reason I haven't gotten back on the blogging wagon is because I'm not sure what I have to say. I've scanned back over the past few years' New Year posts and found that I kind of like what that girl has to say on her blog. Now if only I could figure out how to live it!

I had to laugh when, in January 2010, I read how the author of this blog was going to read through the Bible that year. If that is indeed the same read-through plan I'm on now, then I should be done by this time next year. It's only taken me three years to get through Acts. I'm using the old adage: Pace yourself. Nice and steady, that's my motto.

My mind has been wandering back through the last year, of course, as we all do when a new one rolls around. I'm happy to report that I survived the Year of Humility and that I do believe the Lord has done a work in my mind and heart in this area. Can I say I'm completely humble? Ha! Of course not. That would pretty much make me not humble, wouldn't it? But I can say that the phrase, "Uh, remember, Amy, this life is not about you," rolls through my mind a lot more often than it used to. And occasionally, it affects my behavior as well. Hallelujah.

So I've been asking the Lord what he would have my focus be in this new year of 2013, which sounds like I should be whirring through life in my floating jet car in the middle of a sci-fi flick. Compassion has been on my mind a lot. Not just feeling sorry for people or mushy gushy toward those less fortunate. I mean the kind of compassion Jesus had...the kind that translated into his actions. Feeling sorry for someone doesn't make a difference to them unless it's intentionally expressed in our words and actions.

I'm not known as a compassionate gal. I mean, it takes effort, and who has time to expend effort in being compassionate when they have so much blogging to do? My heart has been softened over the years, though, and I'm hoping in just a few more decades I'll be thought of as a compassionate and kind-hearted person.

Just pacing myself, okay?

However, I'm not 100% sure that's what the Lord wants my focus to be, though clearly it's something we should be striving to be at all times. I want my focus to be about Him, not just me trying to pull myself up by my boot straps to be a better person. Cause you know what? I usually stink that up by about day five.

So, while I'm mulling over God's vision for my life in 2013, I'll subject you to viewing some family Christmas photos. We had a lovely holiday (despite that, for most of it, I felt like I'd cracked a rib from all the coughing) and I managed to get up and face this first day of Real Life with a pretty good attitude, though I share Luke's sentiments which he expressed at breakfast this morning:

I hate school.

He doesn't even go to school yet, (though it won't be long...sniffle, sob) he just hates that half of our family has to go on a regular basis.

Okay, focus, Amy.

Christmas Photos:

Ha! Oh, wait. I will have to actually get the Christmas photos off of my camera first. It's your lucky day. I think this has happened every single year since I've had a blog. Maybe that's the secret to still having readers. I've never made you look through our Christmas photos.

I guess I'm done with my very unfocused post about my focus for the New Year. Maybe it should just be to stay focused on something. Hopefully I'll be back in a few days with a solidifed focus and Christmas photos. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Happy New Year!

Comments

  1. I love love love your blog! And your views on Christ are inspiring. Many Blessings to you and your family.
    Jayma @ http://jaymastips.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts