The Surprises Never Stop

Just when I think my life couldn't get more boring and predictable, I go and act all crazy. I may not be known as someone who's wild and spontaneous, but after the past couple of days, my reputation may be a-changin'. I know you're curious now (or trying to stay awake to see if there will actually be anything interesting to follow), so let me just get right to it. (This would be a good time to exit stage left and go ahead and take that nap.)

I'll start with Monday. Only, I've been wracking my brain for five minutes and cannot remember one thing about Monday. Did we do Monday this week?

Okay...so apparently Monday was not wild and crazy.

Oh, right! On Monday, I became part of a rebel group. A few weeks ago, I decided to step outside of my normal and be a part of Discovery Clubs. Now, before you start thinking that being a Discovery Club mentor doesn't sound all that crazy, take a good look at the website and notice what I have to wear in order to do this. That's right. I have to dress like a banana, only less cool, because it's a banana vest. When I went to training, I was all on board and loving it, until they pulled out the yellow vests. Only "yellow" is too calm a word to describe these things. Listen, I have told you time and again that I am no fashionista, but even I have trouble sporting this vest that could easily get me a job as a runway light.

Aside from the vest, I thought this would be a great way for me and my boys (or two of them) to bridge the gap between school and home. We're always telling them that they are called to be a light in their schools, and now we were going to have a tangible way to do that together. Okay, with that vest, I realize we could easily be a light anywhere. I had decided to give up my precious early school dismissal day with my kids to spend more time at the school in order to share some truth with whoever might come to Club.

We were all shocked to find out at our first meeting on Monday, that we had been denied the right to meet in that school. I won't go into all the details, and this wouldn't be so surprising in many other places, but around here, it was definitely a surprise. Here's the deal: it's after school and completely voluntary. Oh, this world in which we live....so, instead of a planning meeting, we had a prayer session. I felt like a little bit of a rebel, even without the vest on. We'll see if anything changes in the coming days. I may get to dress like Big Bird yet, if the Lord sees fit.

On to Tuesday. I went from blazing new fashion trails to making promotional visits on behalf of Designs for Hope to area businesses. For me, the introvert of all introverts, the one voted Least Likely to Become a Salesman in high school, this was big. But, as it turned out, it wasn't too bad. I mean, when you've got an awesome organization like Designs for Hope, there isn't much salesmanship needed, right?

We're planning our first big event in November, and I'm totally out of my element. All of this is beyond us, but that's where God likes to show up. We're hoping to use the event to celebrate all that has been accomplished, to raise some much needed funds, to make some new and awesome connections, and to share our goals for the future. And that means me actually talking to people that I don't know, or even asking people that I do know for help. Yikes!

Oh, but before I pursued uncomfortable social interactions, I totally surprised myself by going to have lunch at school with one of my kids in the month of September. And it wasn't even his birthday or anything. (That's right. I did not wait until May 19th.) Go ahead and give me my Gold Mommy Star. As I sat with Jack and his new "best friend," watching the other little boy eat nothing but a fudgesicle for lunch, I was reminded why I have strictly forbidden my children to buy ice cream or slushies at school. Some mother just paid $2.50 for her kid to get a sugar high and find himself hungry again in approximately 45 minutes. Did I mention they eat lunch at 10:50?

After adopting the new titles of Rebel and Salesman and Mommy of the Year, I decided to just sit back and relax and do a little sewing and crafting today.

Oh, yes. You just thought I was wild and crazy before. SEWING?! CRAFTING?! That's so not me.

I actually started my sewing endeavors yesterday, when I began the process of sewing two buttons back onto one of Chris's shirts. I am glad I had no witnesses, because I may have had a bit of a hard time. Yep, I'll get that second one done in no more than two months no time.

Then today, I did something unheard of. I made a wreath. It involved a needle, thread, fabric, and even a hot glue gun. Now, I may have allowed my mom to take part in this little project just to keep her from being bored (because there's no way I would need any help with this). Out of the kindness of my heart, I even let her provide the supplies and the house in which to make it. I don't like to brag, but I have to show you how it turned out, and this was with 25-year-old fabric out of my mom's closet.



Yes, we even made fabric flowers. I feel like I've climbed Mt. Everest or something. Only without the frostbite, altitude sickness, and brush with death.

I could only have been motivated to do something of this magnitude for a reason greater than my own sense of accomplishment. I'm usually just happy to get all my laundry done. But this is for something super important. We (see how I'm letting my mom be a part of all this?) are planning on making ruffle wreaths of all different varieties and selling them to help bring our newest family member home. You can check out all the details of her adoption here.

So, while you're unable to move on with your day because of your amazement at my wild and crazy week, think about how much you need a fall or Christmas or everyday cute wreath to hang on your wall or door or  front bumper or wherever wreaths hang. I'll be back with more options as soon as I have them. 'Cause there's no stopping me now. Things only get crazier from here.

Comments

Popular Posts