Overwhelmed

I am a girl who gets easily overwhelmed, much like I am right now. I am overwhelmed by a very unorganized and dirty house, overwhelmed by the rapidly multiplying dirty clothes, overwhelmed with tadpoles and kindergarten programs, overwhelmed at the prospect of a huge decision in our future, overwhelmed by the upcoming holidays, overwhelmed by the very small amount of money in our checking account verses the large number of days remaining until another payday, overwhelmed by another day of missing church, overwhelmed by constantly coughing children. I'm just overwhelmed by life, which is not unusual for me. But I'm definitely at peak-stage right now. (Funny how I have time for this blog, though.)

I dream of a relaxing vacation, leaving all this chaos behind. I dream of a day with nothing to do but read a book. I dream of enough money to not have to worry about putting gas in my car. I dream about children who always get along and pick up after themselves. I dream about a day when my husband is not too busy to hang up curtains.

Now I realize that, as wonderful as all those things sound, they are neither realistic nor necessary. I have to choose to be overwhelmed...overwhelmed by the hope I have in Christ, overwhelmed by the promise I have of an eternity with no pain, suffering, or dirt, overwhelmed by my wonderful Savior who was not overwhelmed by the cross. I don't need vacations or money or perfect children...I just need Jesus. And what do you know...I have all that I need. I am overwhelmed.

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. Psalm 42:5-6a

Comments

  1. These two posts were so good Amy. How we need to be reminded of all this. Thanks you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts