I Resolve to Not Resolve

I am not a big fan of New Years' resolutions. You can probably guess why...they're always the same things and they're almost always gone and forgotten by January 20th or so. I've never really made any, or at least not any that I remember, which means that if I DID make them I didn't follow through. Being somewhat of a perfectionist who's afraid of failure, why would I want to set some lofty goal that I will just fail at?

However, Chris and I did discuss how we really want to read through the Bible together this year, after having tried in previous years and failed (see what I mean??). So, I settled myself at my kitchen table a little while ago to read the first three books of Genesis, and what do you know? I got something out of it. (I LOVE how I can read a passage I've read or heard countless times in my life and get something new out of it!)

I was struck by the words ...then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature. (2:7) What an amazing picture of our creation. Almighty God just takes a little dirt, shapes it into a man, and then gives the very breath of life to the previously lifeless glob of dirt. I imagine God's care and love as He formed this most valued of creations and all the thoughts and plans He had for this man and all who would come after Him. I know each time I met my children for the first time, I couldn't help but think ahead to what they would be like, the things we would do together, what they would do with their lives. God must have done the same (even though He's omnopotent and all).

But a little while later, the strangest thing happened. This man and his companion and helper, the woman, forgot what they were. One day their focus was taken off of their Creator and put on themselves with the words, you will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God (3:4) They forgot that they were just dust from the ground who would not have breath or life without the Lord. How ludicrous for them to think they could be like the One who formed them from practically nothing.

Don't we do the same thing, though? I have moments everyday where my memory lapses and I forget who or what I am. I think my life is all about me and having fun. I forget that the point of my existence is not to eat good food, watch movies, play games, go shopping, or have the perfect body. I'm just dust, but sometimes God has to remind me as He did Adam and Eve that you are dust, and to dust you shall return. (3:19) This life isn't mine. I wouldn't exist if God hadn't formed me and breathed His life into me.

How often do we make our resolutions or plans for a new year of our lives, which we won't have if He decides not to give it to us, without even giving a thought to the fact that we are dust? Who are we to make grand plans on our own, many times which are totally me-focused and earth-focused, without seeking the One whose breath gives us life to see what He might have planned? What does He think is important for us this year? It's probably not so much to be totally focused on losing weight (though that it is a good thing to take care of God's temple) or to travel the world (unless it's to spread the Gospel or minister to others) or to clean out our garage. Don't you think He would be more concerned with eternal things? Just a hunch.

So, before you make any decisions or plans for this clean slate of a year which stands before you, seek the life-breathing, dust-shaping One who really matters and remember...you're just dust.

Comments

  1. AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!! I was just reading the same thing this morning! My resolution is the same as yours this year...to read the entire Bible. I have resolved to draw near to God this year and I am thankful that He will draw near to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts