New Mercies for Each Day

Lamentations 3:21-26 Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.

As someone who messes up a lot in life, I find these verses full of comfort and hope. After a week like the one I just had, I find myself truly appreciating the fresh mercies of God that wait for me each day when I wake up. Though I wander and falter, He is faithful. He is my Rock, my Fortress, my Refuge. I love those names of God that remind us of His unchanging nature and unfailing love. When my emotions are all over the place, He is immovable. His Truth stands firm. I am so thankful that I do not serve a God who changes like shifting shadows, but One who is the same yesterday, today, and forever. That's the kind of God we can trust when everything within us screams that no one could still love us.

The Lord has blessed me with a wonderfully refreshing weekend with my family and friends. Everywhere I turn, I have been reminded of the blessings He has showered upon me. Blessings that I certainly do not deserve and definitely do not always appreciate. Besides a wonderful husband who sticks by my side when I am being very unlovable and three sweet kids who forgive my horrid behavior in a heartbeat, smothering me with hugs, I have also been blessed with very sweet friendships. Even in the last couple of days, I have received so many encouraging words from many of you and offers of time spent together in the coming days. I'm pretty sure I've already done a sappy post on this before, but I was just reminded of the gift of friendship so clearly through the kindness of others and the sermon this morning at church. There was no deep theological truth that I picked up on, but there was a very clear and much needed reminder to appreciate my friends, but also to be a better friend myself.

I don't know if it's just me, but when I get in the midst of a busy week, or when I get totally overwhelmed by boredom within the four walls of my home, my focus is totally on me and not a bit on others. After being showered with the kindness of friends and reminded of God's goodness toward me, my aim this week is just to be a friend in small ways. A note here, a kind word there, and definitely more prayers lifted up on the behalf of others. I would remind you all to do the same, but, from my recent experience, you're all doing a wonderful job of this. I would ask that you - being true friends - would hold me accountable to all I aim to do this week. Most of all, I want to keep my focus on the Friend of all friends. Oh, how truly thankful I am that He walks so patiently beside me, whether I am being a friend to Him or not. My He be our portion this week.

Comments

Popular Posts