No Burden Here

I love studying the Bible. It's living and active. It changes me.

I love it when something new jumps out at me. Today, as I began my CBS study for the new year, I read this passage from I John 5:

2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. 4 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? (Italics added.)

So, verses 2 and 3 just reminded me of that oh so long post I put up yesterday. But I loved the short little sentence that followed them. And his commandments are not burdensome. For some reason, in our selfishness and worldliness, we think doing life God's way will be a pain. We have decided that following God's commandments means we'll miss out on all the fun.

If I don't read the book everyone else is reading (and loving) or see the movie that everyone says is so good or if I skip my "me time" to do something for someone else (that they probably won't even notice) or stop and read my Bible instead of whatever other thing I could be doing or spend time with my husband instead of watching that tv show I've been looking forward to or trade my bikini for my tankini :) or forgo buying that new pair of flip flops so I can give the money away ... I'll miss out. I don't want to give it up!

The funny thing is, though, it seems that most times when I choose God's way, even in these "little things," I end up wondering what was so bad about it in the first place. Before I know it, it becomes a joy to live life his way and I don't even desire to go back to that old stuff. Wait a minute! Maybe God knows what He's talking about!

He is so good, patient, and kind. I still have a long way to go in obeying his commandments, but it's a refreshing reminder to know that when I finally decide to give up my way and go his way, it will actually turn out to be freeing...not a burden at all.

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:29-30








Comments

Popular Posts